Sunday, July 2, 2017

GROWING SEEDS: Our Comforter

 


Growing up, my parents made sure our family of five kneeled at the edge of the plaid living room sofa in our tiny 850 square foot house each night before bedtime and prayed.  Dad, in a weary, tired voice, would pray a prayer thanking God for keeping us all safe and helping us kids from being expelled from school that day. When he was finished, he would always lead us in the Lord's Prayer.  His prayers always included thanking God for the Holy Ghost in our lives.....and I must admit....this ghost business really creeped me out. 

The Holy Ghost.....aka, Holy Spirit....well, it confused me.  If we had God the Father.....and Jesus the Son.....who was this Holy Ghost (Spirit) dude and why did we need Him?  What I've discovered....and this may seem extremely simplistic.....is after Jesus left this earth and went to be with His Father in Heaven, we confused-Christians here on this earth needed a Comforter....Someone to guide us through the right and wrongs of our days.

"But I will send you the Comforter - the Spirit of Truth. 
He will come to you from the Father and will testify all about me."
John 15:26

My Mom was a great comforter during her time here on this earth.  It was her gift.....and her family still feels her comforting presence daily in our hearts.  It's much the same way with the Holy Spirit.  Although Jesus has gone to be with His Father in Heaven, He left His Spirit behind in us, so we can still feel His presence.....hear His voice.....see His existence in every part of our day.  It was His gift to us when we chose to believe in Him. 

I like to call it His "Inner-Mom-Voice"!

"The same power that raised Christ from the dead is living in YOU." 
Romans 8:11

No comments: