Sunday, June 7, 2020

What Is Your Purpose In Life?

 


What is your purpose in life?  Is it to just live happily until you die?  Maybe its to have a family, grandkids and be successful in business?  The older I get, the more I realize my purpose in life....isn't all about me.

I read a story many years ago about an executive recruiter (head hunter) who liked to "disarm" his prospective hires that found their way into his office.  He would offer them a drink, take off his coat, undo his tie, pop up his feet on the desk and talk baseball, family, etc. until he had them good and relaxed.  Just when he got them loosened up, he would lean over his desk, look them straight in the eye and say, "What's your purpose in life?'  He said it was amazing how they would fall apart at that one question.

He went on to tell about one prospect he was interviewing.  He had him all disarmed and right where he wanted him.  He leaned over his desk and asked, "What's your purpose in life, Bob?"  Without blinking an eye, Bob said, "To go to Heaven and take as many people with me as I can."  The recruiter was speechless.

So again I ask; What is YOUR purpose in life?

Is it to make as much money as you can?  Or maybe to get through life making as few mistakes as possible?  Or...is it to get to Heaven and take as many people with you as you can?  If its the latter, we have to ask what are you, and I, doing to make that happen?

It seems to me the very best way we could do that is to live a life filled with love for our neighbor; i.e., Everyone.  And yes, that includes loving those people carrying big screen TV sets they just stole as they ran out of Target this past week or beating a helpless woman in a wheelchair because she tried to block the door and keep them from stealing it.

It's been a tough week for our country.  And I have found myself so angry at these people as I watched them move through life with no moral compass....no conscience....no concern for their neighbor.  I want to be the opposite of them.  I want to hate their action...but love the person...even if they never love me back.  After all, isn't that what Jesus did for you and me? 

"A new command I give you, Liz;
Love one another (even the people with no conscience)
As I have loved YOU (yep, you...a sinner), so you MUST love one another.
By this, everyone (yes sir-ee, that would be Mr. & Mrs. No-Conscience-with-the-stolen-flat-screen-TV)
will know that YOU (insert your name here) are My disciples,
IF you love one another."
John 13:34-35  NIV

No comments: