Sunday, November 22, 2009

Who Is This Guy Matt??


Sunday, November 22, 2009


Have I ever mentioned my nephew, Matt, before?  Actually, I'm not so sure he would like you to think he's my blood nephew.....he would probably prefer you know he's my nephew by marriage to my niece, Jacque.   See, I'm considered the "crazy" aunt of the family......a title I'm quite proud of actually, and I think Matt thinks I'm just a little "out there" if you know what I mean.....  I see the eye rolls.....the slight tilt of the head to the right that says, "Who is this chick and whats wrong with her??"....

Matt is a kinda quiet guy...at least, around me he is....I "think" there's another side of him, but I haven't seen it yet.........he loves motorcycles, is a whiz at computers and electronic gadgets, and is a SUPER husband to my niece, Jacque.   He tolerates this crazy Calloway family pretty well.....  He and my niece Jacque have been married a little over a year, but Matt's been coming to family get-togethers for years now.  Bless his heart......how many years did we make the poor guy sleep on the floor in the Media Room with the family pets?  He was never really that interested in any of the lake activities like jet-skiing or boating, but he would come because Jacque wanted him there.....and we did too!  He would bring a couple good books, find a nice quiet spot, and he was a happy camper.  Sometimes he would hang out in the garage with Chuck, which is where all the "Married-To-A-Calloway Woman" men hung out.  We'd see him again as they were getting in the car to leave.


But you know when I knew; REALLY KNEW, that Matt was the right one for Jacque??  About 3 years ago, the family was at the lake as usual for some holiday; can't remember which one.....and we had found a spot for Matt other than the Media Room floor with Callie the stinky, shedding dog and Kittie Kruger, the one claw-cat.  Our neighbors weren't down that weekend and offered to let Matt stay at their house.  It was late one Saturday night; Jacque had already gone to bed at our house and woke up scared from a bad dream......all she wanted was her Matt.  I walked her groggy self over to the neighbor's house where Matt was still up reading his book.  As soon as he saw her, he quietly took her in his arms and knew instantly what was wrong.  He "knew" just how to handle her; how to make things right in her world.....and just like that; she was happy and safe.....It was like something out of a romance movie......This was HUGE for me........HUGE!

So, why am I blogging about Matt tonight??   Well, we had our Calloway Thanksgiving this past weekend and had such a wonderful time......Matt fixed homemade stuffing; didn't yell or even get upset when Jacque had him put frozen green beans in the backseat of his new BMW that spilled on the trip to the lake; he reminded Jacque to eat something when she hadn't eaten in 6 hours......this guy is in love with my girl, Jacque, and this one crazy aunt couldn't be happier.  I may not fully "know" Matt, but one thing I do know is Matt is one AWESOME nephew......Calloway blood or not!!


So, there you have it.  I'm not real sure what Matt thinks of Jacque's crazy, unpredictable, horrible cook Aunt Liz, but I can tell you Aunt Liz sure thinks the world of Matt.........AND....its not because he said "Aunt Liz isn't quite as crazy as Jacque made her out to be" as his favorite memory during Family Memory Time this past weekend.

Love ya, Matt!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEK

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

liz! that was so sweet! im glad jacque has such a loving husband

ruth

Anonymous said...

It’s to early to cry ---- but I couldn’t have said it better myself --- I love you

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I got a little frog in my throat and misty eyes reading this wonderful
tribute.....and if Aunt Liz says it is o.k. then it is o.k. I am
so happy for them both and you wrote such a wonderful
description of him....I think you have sort of brought him out
like Debbie and you have brought out Brady....thoroughly integrated
them into the Calloways.
I love you all.
Ant ellie

Anonymous said...

Auuuuuggggghhhhh……… I am sitting here at work just about to cry - this is so sweet. Matt is a wonderful guy isn’t he? He is a good man but I don’t remember the whole bad dream thing. But it is sweet.

Jax

Anonymous said...

Thanks Liz....Matt reminds me of my son in law Gary, he loves my daughter. Last week the granddaughter and her went shopping somewhere here in the Springs, and he couldn't get a hold of her, so he went "bananas" called me and asked me...have you seen Yvette and Leilani?....well I talked to her about an hour ago...so I called Yvette and got a hold of her and told her, you better call that husband of yours, you know how he worries about you, so you better give him a ring...so there you have it. Have an awesome Thnaksgiving!!

Israel

Anonymous said...

Oh Liz - this was so nice and you are lucky to have him in your family.

Jacquetta

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so delighted Matt has found such a loving, caring family to adopt him. You guys are the best, too, and Jo and I thank God daily for blessing Matt with Jax...Alan