Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Mom

Saturday, April 21, 2012


I have such a "need" to tell you about my sweet Mom.......as she enters the final weeks of her life.

Many of you know my mom Dorothy......you might have called her Dot....or maybe Mrs. Calloway.  You may have gone to church with her or maybe you knew her through me......You might be her sister-in-law or niece or nephew or grandchild.

I never met anyone who didn't love Mom.  

As I selfishly sit here wishing for more time with her; regretting missed opportunities; missed chances to tell her just how very much I loved her....all the while knowing she is the "lucky" one as she will soon be meeting her heavenly Father.....preparing to be called to her permanent, beautiful, over-the-moon, out-of-this-world Heavenly home, I wanted to revisit my Mothers Day blog with you......



Happy Mothers Day!

Mother's Day is so bittersweet to me........SWEET cause I was blessed with the sweetest Mom of them all.....BITTER cause I know I won't have her with me "forever".....As the years go by faster and faster, I see my  time with her getting shorter and shorter and it simply breaks my heart.   

For those of you whose time has already ended with your Mom, my heart aches for you right now and these tears that I'm crying as I type this right now are for you.  And for those of you who maybe don't understand your Mom; maybe are angry with her; maybe feel she wasn't the mom you "deserved"........please remember she was the Mom that God gave you and He gave her to YOU for a reason.  I'm sure there were many moments my Mom felt she didn't get the daughter she deserved when she was having to chase me around the bed to spank me or the millions of other things I did to disappoint her.

But today, I want to thank my beautiful Mom for a few things that time can never take away....
* For all the yearly Mother-Daughter Trip memories we made together.  From Hawaii to the Bahamas; from Asheville, NC to San Antonio; from Oklahoma City to Hot Springs, AR; not to mention Branson, MO to Florida......we have seen and experienced so much together.  We have learned your stomach shouldn't ever take a cruise again; and we have learned what our maximum amount of time together should be.  These trips will be forever etched in my memory, even when I'm old and can't remember who I am.....

* For working at that hot Sears warehouse during our school age years so we could attend church school.......even though I only excelled in "talking, goofing off and laughing"......this was NOT your fault!

*  For driving us to school in downtown Dallas on Central Expressway and never "pulling the car over RIGHT NOW" as you often threatened......

* For forgetting to tell Dad when he got home as you promised to do when we were extra bad.......

* For the love of bowling.....I never was able to beat you at bowling....DOGGONIT!


* For being the "Monster" at Chuck's and my house at Halloween  in Dallas and scaring all the little kids....You were AWESOME!

Thanks Mom, for being YOU!!  

28 comments:

Frosty said...

Love this!!!!

Frosty

Mary Lee & Tom said...

Oh Liz, what a beautiful tribute to your mom. I, too, had a wonderful, loving, praying mother. I still miss her so much and still think suddenly, "I will ask mother about that". She has been gone 19 years now. It gets easier, but, well you understand. I am here for you as you go thru this difficult time. Pls. call me to come over or you come here and let me just listen to you tell me more about her and all your wonderful memories. I am thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers. Your mom is so lucky to have you for a daughter. God bless.

Mary Lee

Ellen said...

A lovely tribute to a lovely lady. She has shown such strength and courage through this ordeal.

Remember: she loves you as much as you love her. That is where she is finding that strength and courage...and you are too.

Love you Sissy!
Ellen

Jackie and Joe said...

Liz...thanks so much...the words about your Mom were so honoring and expressed the deep love you had for her and showed her...she knew...what a gift to her....j

Judy Boyles said...

Your mother is awesome lady. I have known her for over 40 years. You have been blessed to be her child.

Judy Boyles

jack wallace said...

Oh, Liz, this was so wonderful. Where does your mom reside right now. Thank you for the touching words and the words of challenge and encouragement. Consider yourself hugged right now by God and me.

Grace and peace,

Jack

Denise Kohler said...

Liz, What a sweet tribute to your mom. I didn't know she had gotten this bad. I know you have to be hurting and I'm so sorry for that. I just love your mom. When I was in DJA, she use to sub a lot and she always called me her pet ( I'm hoping this meant I was her favorite !! ) so when I'd see her in church or outside of school she'd never call me Denise, she'd call me pet. I always thought that was so cool, made me feel special !! Hang in there girl, and keep us updated. Love ya lots.
Denise

Lynette said...

Has something new happened with your mom? She was always so much fun! Sweet, sweet lady.

Liz Hurt said...

Oh, Liz, I am so sorry. I understand. My heart aches - for us both. Not for our mothers, but for us. How is it possible to rejoice and grieve at the same time? But I do. Today has been my hardest day. I really do understand. Much, much love, Liz

Jan Lemon said...

"Liz, Wow. What a nice tribute to you wonderful mom.

Israel said...

Thank you Liz for your good thoughts about your mother...Sweet. Happy is the man (no gender imply) that finds wisdom, and the man that gets understanding. Prov.3:13

Israel

Lulu Mae said...

I knew an loved ur mom from SDA church on central Expressway Last time I saw her was at Tommy Wardles wife Teri' s funeral a t Mesquite church.. Iknow how u feel an I am sooo sorry There is NO ONE that can ever replace ur mom I lost my mom in 83..... We know she will b in heaven an we can enjoy being with her again in that perfect world..... I love u an u all are in my prayers.... Thanks for sharing this with us.....

Ant Ellie said...

my heart and prayers are with you and the whole family. I love you all lots and lots. ant ellie

Brenda said...

You are so much in our prayers. I did not know she was this sick.

Love you sweet lady.

Brenda

Stacy said...

"Praying for peace and comfort and that your mom will have those she loved most surrounding her. Counting my blessings for my mom and grandmother

Linda Bolton said...

-How sweet.

Jeanette said...

That was sweet Liz, it brought tears to my eyes just reading it....my Mom is gone but memories will never fade away in our life of our "Moms".

Marlene said...

Dear Liz,

My Mom passed away almost 10 years ago. Even though I took care of her in my home and spent as much time as I could with her, it never felt like it was enough. Death is ALWAYS hard no matter what. You are so blessed to have such awareness and presence during this time. I commend you for that. It isn't easy, I know.

Felt such peace reading your blog today. I pray God continue to keep you present and in His loving care.

Love and hugs,

Marlene

Donna & Jug said...

I’m very sorry Liz, my prayers are with you…..thank goodness I still have my mom, but I have lost my dad. It creates a void and you miss them forever.

Donna

Sherrie said...

So sweet! Makes me want to go be with my mother, hug her, love on her and spend time with her. You always manage to bring me down to earth with your blogs. Keep it up my friend.

Dad said...

The Best Piece You have ever done !!!! JC

Jan & Joe said...

Liz, you are a wonder. What a beautiful letter about your Mom. I just returned from visiting Mom in Chicago, where she lives about 5 miles from my Sister Zoe. Mom was 100 last Sept, and although she can't remember a lot, she still is so loving and wants to hold our hands. Zoe and I remember so clearly the wonderful things she has done for us throughout our lives. Mom still lives in her own home, though we now have a caretaker for her. A wonderful young woman who loves Mom as well. We are lucky to have had these loving and wonderful Moms. Thank you for your beautiful writing! Jan

Nyla said...

I was blessed with a great loving Mom also, and just this a.m. was telling Pastor Jack how she made us realize how important forgiving is and impressed us with the necessity of FORGETTING as well. Because of this I have recollections of any hurts or disagreements with family and friends. I will forever be grateful! I'm glad you have such fond memories too! Love ya' Nyla

Kim brown said...

Girl I'm so sorry I didn't realize you guy were going through that.....my heart and prayers are with you. Call me if I can help with anything..... If there is anyone that needs a place to stay on this side of town we have lots of extra space and would be honored for you to think of us.

jeanne said...

Liz –

I never had the pleasure of meeting your Mom. I am so sorry she is ill and that you will not have her for a long time to come. I lost my mother 24 years ago – and still miss her every day of my life! She still lives through and in me – as I see her every time I pass a mirror! I hear her telling me to hang up my clothes and to never be too big to pick up a penny and to get my elbows off the table – and to always be a good houseguest and help in the kitchen. Those things she taught me make me the person I am today – a lot like my mother in many ways – but I’m still trying to be as good as she was. I don’t think that’s possible.

Just tell your Mom all the things that are in this tribute if you can. I know she already knows better than you do how you feel about her – but make sure, for you.

Take care and make those last days and weeks count extra

With caring concern,

Jeanne

Eleshia Terrell said...

Praying for you and your Mom during this difficult time. Eleshia Terrell

LeeBird3 said...

Lord, Please hold Liz and her sweet momma extra close. You understand our deepest hurts.

Glenda Anderson said...

I am so sorry to hear you are facing this phase in your life. I faced this with my Mom at Christmas, 1992, and it has always put a damper on my favorite holiday. Mine was very unexpected but I have thought that was no better then that horrible "wait".

There will be dreams that wake you, there will be thousands of trips to the telephone to call her about that silly thing that just happened, and so many wonderful holidays with a large emptiness hanging there. But then there are so many great memories to share with family, friends, grandkids, and even strangers!

ALWAYS keep those pictures out of her, and as you round every nook in your house and see a picture, you WILL smile.

Thinking of you.
Love and prayers,
Glenda