Sunday, April 5, 2015

No Eggs, No New Dress, No Bunnies....Just GRACE




 

Jesus said to his disciples - -
"Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile"
Mark 6:31

I am writing this from a quiet place today.....a place in the center of Alabama called Verbena...you know, like the flower.....and its quiet.....except the running water of Blue Creek nearby...the very creek my Grandmother and Grandfather owned and panned for gold in when I was a kid.   I hear the leaves crunching from a nearby deer.....and I am alone here with the memories of my childhood....this place I hated desperately as a child.

Hated it because I was a city girl stuck in a place of outhouses, grasshoppers, dirt and QUIET.  I liked the noise of the city.  The noise kept me from thinking about my lack of self-confidence, insecurities and fears.

But standing here now....almost fifty years later, in that very same spot of quiet, somehow its all different...yet the same.  Now the quiet soothes me....I don't mind remembering those insecurities and fears as I can look back on the road I've traveled and see clearly why God chose that road for me to walk down.  How those very same insecurities became the tool that helped me grow and led me straight to Him.

And I see off in the distance my brother and my sister.....the ones who threw crickets on me and made me cry....who I now love with a love that only someone who has walked a long dirty road together can love.....and somehow this place that I hated becomes a wonderful memory.


I loved that one of the last things Jesus wanted to do with his disciples was to "Go off by ourselves to a quiet place..." cause isn't that what true friends do?

As we walk the woods, Uncle Kenny
talks about how the tops of the trees are called the "crown" and reminds us that the pine trees die if they can't reach the sun......yes....THAT Son....they die.  They have to be thinned out....to allow ROOM for the Son to reach their entire soul....the core of their being.

They DIE without the SON. 

And its not until we "Go off by ourselves with God to a quiet place" that we feel the Son beaming down into our cores....and adding nourishment that can only come from the Son.  By uncluttering our lives of stuff.....by thinning out our lives of things that don't include or matter to God....we are leaving room for the Son to heal us....to grow us....to strengthen us.  

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow Liz- once again your sharing has touched me . This is absolutely beautiful, and I love how you turn a phrase with sun to Son.
I see so much more vunerability in your writing these days. The “real” you coming through..perhaps it was always there but the words you use and the things you discuss are so very “real”. I see your relationship with God growing ever stronger, deeper, and Him using you in new ways with your writing.

Anne said...

Happy Easter Liz! What beautiful thoughts. I love how you express them!

Enjoy your family!

Love to you.
Anne

Jill said...

I love this!!

lynn said...

It was God that put me beside you today, I am so thankful for your friendship and your words that touched me today. Beautifully written and touching. Love you lady and that Charlie too!

Stu said...

You are so good at bringing me back to the right path. I think I need the quiet place away from the city for a couple of days. I have been so busy with volunteering overload. At Church, for PHA it never seems to end . Time for this ex country boy to get back to a place like Verbena. I always love reading your emails Liz, I pray that Chuck and yourself have a great year ahead.
Stuart

Marlene said...

Love, Love this! I wish I could have known what I know today when I was young.
Grateful for knowing now even if I'm middle-aged...better late than never. Love
your writing and I so can identify.
Love,
M

Kathy said...

Mark 6:31 is the scripture I had on the wall in the front bedroom at Gloryhaven. Great 'story' about your trip and how much it meant to 'go home'. Can't wait until we ALL get to go HOME! Thank you for including me in your life/lives!!

Love you,
Kathy

Ellen said...

Nice message and I looooove the pic of James.

Dan said...

That'll preach!

Dan

Nonia said...

Thanks, This is so sweet.I love this time of year when you can look at the pine trees at a certain time and they will b covered with Crosses.This all ways made me shed a few tears.

Debbie said...

As always sister, you take something we all saw, hold it in your hand, turn it around and view it from an entirely new and wonderful angle. I feel so grateful and blessed to have spent such a wonderful weekend with my family in the quiet beautiful area our grandparents loved so much.

Jeanne said...

Liz – these are beautiful thoughts and memories and pictures - that take me right to the spot you are describing in Alabama!

Brooke said...

Good stuff sweet friend. Can't wait to see you!!!