Sunday, May 9, 2021

Monday-Thru-Friday-Mom

 


Monday Thru Friday Mom
Lizetheridge
 
My Mom used to always say....”We need to hear a Monday thru Friday sermon” whenever she would hear a preacher preach another sermon on Moses....or Joseph.....or Noah. She wanted to be taught how to Biblically make it through a week of 3-bratty-kids-and-9-hour-work-days-in-a-hot-warehouse-to-make-ends-meet and still be thankful on Friday.
 
We used to chuckle when she’d say that but, we all knew what she meant. Life is hard....lonely....frustrating and messy. If only the weekend sermon could teach us how Jesus would have chosen to handle 3 bratty kids. Ya....I was the youngest of those three bratty kids and probably....NO....most assuredly, I was the brattiest of them all. 
 
Mom was the fireman of our family....constantly putting out fires of fighting children, a tired husband, keeping an 800 square foot house for a family of five spotlessly clean and cooking 3 meals when cooking wasn’t her “blessing”.
She put herself last and her family first. Always first.
 
“Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.”
 
After she passed away, I discovered I had ended up with her perfume. “Youth Dew” by Estee Lauder. I also discovered that by simply opening the perfume lid, I could instantly feel Mom’s presence in the room next to me. It was like she was standing right next to me. Tears would fall with the reality that it was all a mirage each time I would open that bottle. 
 
“A mother’s sense lasts long after she lets go.”
 
But Mom knew that by putting her own wants and needs aside and providing wisdom, kindness and praying thousands of prayers over her children for those Monday through Friday trials, she could successfully make it to the weekend.
"She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue." Proverbs 31:26
 
Mom wasn’t perfect; but to me...she was everything I ever hoped to become.
 
Happy Mother’s Day.

No comments: