Thursday, August 23, 2012

Liz In An Apron........

August 24, 2012


LUNCHES OF LOVE!!!!



Well folks, I'm pretty sure most of you know Liz doesn't cook.......AT ALL........EVER.....it's just NOT my blessing......matter of fact, I actually had that put in our wedding vows when Chuck and I got married.  I didn't want there to be any confusion 10 years down the road when the honeymoon was over and Chuck started nagging me to cook......I could simply play the wedding video for him and remind him he agreed to this.

That being said, I must admit I love wearing an apron and "pretending" I know what I'm doing in the kitchen.  To me, its truly all about the apron.  So I jumped at the chance to help "serve" food here in Mt. Vernon at "Lunches of Love".....a combination of different denominations coming together to feed the chidren from disadvantaged homes here in our community......so long as I could wear an apron!

This was my last week of serving.....and let me tell ya......I've had a BLAST.  The first week, they put me on "gravy" duty...which consisted of simply pouring gravy on top of the mashed potatoes.  EASSSSSSSY.  

The next week, I was moved up to "vegetables"......a bit tougher.  I found the carrots were going pretty well, but the cauliflower just wasn't moving at all.  After about 15 minutes of no action on the cauliflower, one of the little old ladies came up and whispered in my ear, "That's "Broccoli" sweetie...not "Cauliflower".  Ughhhh......

The following week, they moved me over to "Green Beans"......pretty much a step backwards from the prior week....I'm guessing it was cause of the simple little mess up on the cauliflower/broccoli issue.  Personally, green beans are about the only vegetable I like, so I couldn't imagine why the kids weren't wanting any of them.......so I just told them to put ketchup on them and it would be like eating dessert.  Guess what?  They LOVED it!!!!!  Came back for seconds and thirds on green beans with ketchup!!!!  YEA!!

And this last week, I finally made it to serving the main entree....yep.....they put me in charge of "Chicken".  Oh happy day!!!  I had a blast asking the kids if they wanted American chicken, Russian chicken, African chicken...etc.....and watching them look at me like I had 3-heads.  

Next year.....
they said I could get an apron with my name on it!!!!

WHOO HOOO!!!!

10 comments:

Cherie said...

Girl...u crack me up!!

Israel said...

Oh Liz, you r so helpless, but I guess you got lucky with chuck.........Oh well!! the rest is history.


Israel

Joy Starks said...

Loved this one. Thanks for sharing. You are a mess. Hope Chuck has healed from his broken hip. I think of him often. Miss you guys. Hope all is well with you. Later.

Ant Ellie said...

If they ask you to come early.......watch out......they may
direct you to the kitchen with stoves and ingredients and
all sorts of mischiefness......and then have the nerve to
ask you to taste it!!!! you will need more than an apron!
better to call in sick on that day! ha.
Ya'll really look like professional workers with those
large aprons.......but you are missing Ov Gloves to above the elbow!

I bet you all had a blast....and those kids will never forget those crazy ladies at lunch! Laughter is better than Alkaseltzer! I just love your blogs!
Love to you both,
ant ellie

Lulu said...

Love it u are a blast. I imagine u could get kids eat anything with ur sweet ways........

Stuart said...

Wonderful Liz,
The apron is a new look for you but that is a great thing you are doing. Just wait until you get to Cobbler, no tastings.
God Bless,
Stu

Jack Wallace said...

Thank you for blessing me with this reflection, blessing the Kitchen crew with your presence, and blessing the children with your fun-loving and compassionate grace of Christ. Can’t wait to see if they spell your name right on your apron….

Skip said...

Liz from da Lake: I’m not sure when the last time I have seen such joy on a person’s face knowing they have just been told in one year they will get that which they’ve been seeking…………………………………………………………culinary recognition………………….. and their name on their own apron. What pleasure and satisfaction this will bring knowing that you know cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and green beans are truly tied together……………all are grown in Mother Earth! With your flare for design the next critical question is “whether colors in letting AND aprons can deviate from black and white”? Also, you should be concerned whether this a provisional granting or is a solid commitment from the organization. Time will tell, but my suggestion is that you most certainly study to learn the true difference between American, Russian and African chicken. Subtle differences, but with your sophisticated clientele, they’ll be able to spot a phony thus threatening the actual giving of da apron. Congratulations, I now know miracles do happen! Snack Daddy



P. S. Check with Becky, she probably knows the difference between American, Russian and African chicken.

Mary and Willie said...

Liz,
Willie and I laughed and laughed (ROFL)!
Mary

Sherrie Wilson said...

I can't believe you tricked me into reading a short story on an apron. Jeez! YOu held my attention AGAIN!