Sunday, March 24, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Prayer Shawl"


 
 
PRAYER SHAWL  
"God's Residence"


One of my most common prayers to pray when I'm feeling particuarly anxious or fearful  is "Father, wrap those big loving arms around me and still my fears.....and Father, if I'm too rattled to feel Your big strong arms around me, them smack me over the head with that shepherd's crook of Yours to get my attention."  

It works every time.  

Pretty soon, I'm feeling this amazing peace and warmth surrounding me......my almost hyper-ventilating breaths slow down and my brain cells start lining up to where my thought processes make sense again.  Sometimes I think I can actually hear God saying to me, "Really??  We're doing this AGAIN?"  But then I see Him smiling, shaking His head in a familiar way and saying, almost under His breath, "Ok, I'll remind you AGAIN that I'm walking two steps ahead of You; clearing the path of things that cause you to stumble and fall. I'm here.....right here.....can't you feel my heartbeat against yours?"

And every time I see those beautiful Prayer Shawls draped over select pews in the sanctuary, I can't help but think of them as God's arms wrapped around my shoulders, warming me, protecting me.....calming me.  I am constantly blown away by the many gifts our church has working within its walls.  Because I can't sew a button on a shirt without assistance, I am in awe of those woman who tirelessly make shawl after shawl to be the arms of God wrapping around those in need.  

Have you ever been in the hospital and had someone bring you a special, familiar blanket from home that you can hold tightly to your chest?  Remember how comforting that felt?  It most likely immediately slowed down your anxious heart rate, brought a smile to your face and reminded you of the love that went into making that special blanket.  Well, that's the way it is with Gods Prayer Shawls.  The loving hands that made each one of them, were themselves made and blessed by God.  As the last stitch is made on each shawl, it is prayed over.  It was commissioned by the One who made you, to bring you comfort and peace.  

Moses wore it to his funeral.  David wore one on the day he fought Goliath and Daniel wore one as he went into the lion's den.  Jesus wore His prayer shawl as He went into the darkness of Gethsemane and He will wear it again when he returns.  And did you know that the Prayer Shawl was part of the resurrection of Jesus (John 20:6-7)?  It was gently folded in the corner of the empty tomb.  

So next time you walk past a Prayer Shawl at church, reach down and touch it with your fingers and feel the stitches that God made to remind us of His presence during the difficult times......and say a prayer of Thankfulness for these Mary and Martha's in our church who answer the call to make them.

"Even when the way goes through Death Valley, 
I'm not afraid when You walk at my side.  
Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure."  
Psalm 23:4

No comments: