Sunday, July 7, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Joy"


 
 
JOY ~

I once knew a woman named Joy.  She was a short little petite lady with a pixie haircut who lived directly behind us in our Lake Highlands neighborhood in Dallas and had a mean streak in her that would make the toughest guy cower in fear.  I always thought how ironic that her name was Joy......I seldom saw any "Joy" in her life.  She rarely liked her husband; she hated her furniture; only once in a blue moon did she like her grown kids......and she threatened to quit her job most every day.

But about this time last year, her husband was diagnosed with cancer.  Stage 4 cancer.  Suddenly, life shifted for Joy and the things that once seemed so important to her, no longer mattered.  Her love for her husband softened.....her adult kids didn't annoy her like they once had.....and her job became a blessing to her.  I remember getting the call from her in the fall of last year.  She was calling to tell me about her beloved Donnie's cancer and how alone she felt.  Although she had lived in the same neighborhood for 20+ years, she barely knew anyone.  According to Joy, "neighbors just didn't want to know each other anymore"......but truth is, Joy never made any attempts to get to know her neighbors.  My heart broke for her.

I had never known Joy and Donnie as people of faith, so when I told her I was going to send her a little book that had helped me through some tough times, I seriously wondered if she would even crack it open.  But I sent it anyway.....with much prayer for my friend Joy and the rough road she had ahead.  

Two weeks before Donnie passed away, Joy called again.  This time her voice had "hope" in it.  She told me she had been reading the "Jesus Calling" daily devotional I had hesitantly sent her.  She was reading it out loud to Donnie every day and, although she wasn't sure he heard her, she felt such a peace and, yes....maybe even a hint of JOY, in her broken heart.

I understand now what Paul was talking about when he wrote to the Philippians......"Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with JOY, for you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ....."

"The simplest way to fine JOY in me is to give THANKS in all circumstances.  
This practice adds SPARKLE to your blessings, increasing your JOY."   Jesus
(Jesus Calling)

No comments: