Sunday, July 14, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Lunches of LOVVVVVVEEE...."

LUNCHES OF LOVVVVVVVE....

This week is the start of LUNCHES OF LOVE!!  

Last year, I jumped at the chance to help "serve" food at "Lunches of Love" .....which is a combination of different denominations and local businesses coming together to feed the children from disadvantaged homes here in our community.   And I thought what better way to tell you about this amazing volunteer program than to describe my experiences last year.

First off, I must tell you Liz doesn't cook....AT ALL.....EVER.....it's just not my blessing. So the first week, they put me on "gravy" duty...which consisted of simply pouring gravy on top of the mashed potatoes.  EASSSSSSSY. 

The next week, I was moved up to "vegetables"......a bit tougher.  I found the carrots were going pretty well, but the cauliflower just wasn't moving at all.  After about 15 minutes of no action on the cauliflower, one of the more experienced women came up and whispered in my ear, "That's "Broccoli" sweetie...not "Cauliflower".  Oops.

The following week, they moved me over to "Green Beans"......pretty much a step backwards from the prior week....I'm guessing it was cause of the simple little mess up on the cauliflower/broccoli issue.  Personally, green beans are about the only vegetable I like, so I couldn't imagine why the kids weren't wanting any of these.......so I just told them to put ketchup on them and it would be like eating dessert. They LOVED it!!!!!  Came back for seconds and thirds on green beans with ketchup!!!!  

And on the final week, I finally made it to serving the main entree....yep.....they put me in charge of "Chicken". I had a blast asking the kids if they wanted American chicken, Russian chicken, African chicken....etc.....and watching them look at me like I had 3-heads.  

But the best part?  They promised me an apron with my name on it this year!!  

So, if whoever is in charge of aprons is reading this, my name is spelled "L-I-Z".

V-O-L-U-N-T-E-E-R
You Will Be Blessed While Blessing Others

No comments: