Sunday, March 25, 2018

GROWING SEEDS: Why We Need You, Dad.......


Growing up, our family of five always sat on the 3rd pew from the front on the piano side of the church.  Always.  Well....except that time when a visitor mistakenly sat in our pew.  I recall all five of us just stood there looking at the occupied pew wondering what in the world to do now.

During the sermon, Dad would put me on his lap, place my hand inside his suit jacket next to his clip-on tie, straight onto his heart where my hand could feel it beating and that beating heart would always lull me to sleep.  Dad figured out early this was the best way to keep his youngest daughter quiet during church.   It worked.  Always.

I thought about that memory as I drove the 100 miles to Dallas this weekend for Dad's 90th birthday.


My brother, sister and I were all coming together to meet at the same church to sit in the same pews next to our Dad and his clip-on tie.  First time in more than 40 years we've all been back sitting on those same wood pews.

My parents sacrificed much for us........to know God.

We were not a perfect family......far from it.  Probably more like All In The Family than Leaver It To Beaver if truth be told.  But without us kids even knowing it....Mom and Dad were building a concrete foundation right underneath this dysfunctional family of theirs.  I'm sure there were times when they wondered if this foundation would hold for the long haul.

But it did.

The years of sacrifice they made so we could be in church school......the piano lessons even when we couldn't afford a piano....the Lord's Prayer said on our knees each night before going to bed.....and the life lessons we learned from these two imperfect parents walked us straight into the arms of God....eventually.  

And that foundation stood the test of time.

Today.....we're still dysfunctional.  But I thank my Dad for being the best parent he knew how to be.  For sacrificing.....for loving us even when we were unlovable.  For teaching us we can do any thing we put our mind to....and for the hours at Restland Cemetary teaching us how to drive a stick-shift while repeatedly saying, "You can't kill anyone here."

Happy 90th Birthday, Pappo.  Thank You for loving me.

https://youtu.be/DZg7WBtWuNo









29 comments:

Donna McFarland said...

So very beautiful Liz. Your dad must be special.

Jan A. said...

Beautiful Liz - as was the write up on the program this morning. We too were blessed with wonderful loving God loving parents who helped in church and kept us involved. We are so blessed - as you are. Thanks for sharing this time of your life!

Chloanne D. said...

I enjoyed this so much! Thank you for sharing. My father and I had a special relationship, too. When he was about to move to Mexico with his new wife (after my mother had died of cancer), the three of us were sitting waiting for a bus, and Daddy reached over and held my hand for a long time. Now my earthly Daddy is in heaven waiting for me.

When I need to feel especially close to Father God, I imagine sitting with Him, with His holding my hand.

Love you,

Chloanne

Carolyn J. said...

What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dad.

Liz, thank you for sharing.

Love you, Carolyn Jones

Barry C. said...

Nicely said.

Judy said...

Beautiful tale. He is looking good!

Shirley Burkett said...

Oh my, you need to write a book! I would be first in line! Love your heart!

Bonnie S. said...

So sweet!!! Happy 90th!!!

Rosalind said...

Love this, Liz!!

Ed Fry said...

Great dad + great mom = great kids. So proud to know all of you!

Jean Price said...

Happy Birthday to him!!

Elease said...

Love to your Dad!

Lulu said...

Happy 90 th to your dad. I love your mom n miss her too. What a beautiful tribute u r gifted writer fer sure

Cherie said...

Awesome tribute Liz! Happy Birthday

Nancy Johnson said...

Love, love, love this tribute...awesome seeing the Church and the sweet video...we learned to drive at Restland also...everyone has gone their separate ways, but we are all connected by that church and the parents who cared for us so much...Happy Birthday, Mr Calloway

Cindy Cunningham said...

This is priceless!! Thank you for sharing!!

Ken Smith said...

happy birthday mister

LeeAnn said...

Just Beautiful! I even watched the YouTube Video & then the MyGirl Video! Love it. You are a blessing to your family girl!

Alan Greenwood said...

Liz what a touching tribute, Alan

Pat Whitworth said...

Liz, I enjoyed reading this. I think it may have been sent to David’s email at work whereas all messages come directly to me since he passed away.

Please tell your tell Happy Birthday from me. Hope all is well with all your family.

Angie O. said...

Thank you, I love this !

Elizabeth C said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. After losing mine recently I can attest that you always need your dad!! I remember seeing ya’ll in your pew. We were so little then. Our parents could fix most of our problems. You had a good set of parents!! Take care my friend!!

Linda said...

So special. Hope he was able to enjoy your tribute. Thanks for sharing your heart with us.

Eva S. said...

Happy birthday to you.

Jeannie B. said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad! Hope he has a great day.

Kathy R. said...

What a great blog!! Always able to tell a great story. Happy birthday to your dad. 90 is today's 70, right??

Leo Keiser said...

Hi Jim! Nice to see you!

Liz H. said...

That is an absolutely amazing tribute!!!! I don’t even have words to express it. Your dad has to be one amazing man. Has to be. Because he’s got an amazing and talented daughter!!! Wow!!! And to think that you’re my friend. Wow again!!!

Lisa Arnell said...

Dear Liz, What a wonderful and touching birthday video for your dad. Sounds like he had a great day with the family all around him. Please wish him our best and we will be sure to do it in person when we see him in May. Take Care, see you soon. Michael and Lisa Arnell