Saturday, April 2, 2011

So......Did You Guess Where We Are????

April 2, 2011


Good Job........most of you!!!  I was SUPER impressed and surprised with how many of you loyal followers of Murphy's Mom Blog knew right where we are......And for those of you who didn't know, we are at.......

Queen Wilhelmina State Park in Mena, Arkansas

This is the coolest place......its only about a 3 1/2 hour drive from home and is the closest mountain range us East Texans have.  I know my Colorado friends would call this a "hill", but to us, this is considered the Arkansas Pikes Peak!

We are camping at the top of Rich Mountain in the Quachita National Forest which is accessed by taking the Talimena Scenic Drive; a 54 mile stretch of eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas.  Today we drove from Mena to Magazine Mountain, about 125 miles away, which is the tallest mountain in Arkansas; all 2,700 feet of it.

Now, I must confess none of the pictures you're looking at are mine; unfortunately, I left the cord to download pictures from my camera to the computer at home, so you're looking at "borrowed" pictures from the internet.....but we actually DID see these sites!

But can you imagine driving a 40' motorhome pulling a motorcycle trailer up these hills..........and how much gas that sucks out of it?? Well, thats just what we did yesterday.  But tomorrow ........ tomorrow, I must go down those same steep hills.......My trusty Jake Brake (air brakes) and I will be praying most of the way down.

Our friends, Joe and Jackie, who also drive a trike (although their's makes much neater sounds cause its a Harley) are camping with us at the top of this very windy-windy mountain.  (Yes, I know I said "windy-windy" but that is because it is a "windy" road and it is very "windy" up here...)

Tomorrow....I will provide proof that we actually were physically here......(if the jake brakes don't fail.....)  And if the Jake Brakes DO fail; well....you'll hear about it on the news!
Talimena Scenic Road

13 comments:

Nancy said...

"Wherever it is, it's just beautiful!! (Wilhelmina State Park, OK?)"

Denise Kohler said...

"No, not until you told us, I do know I'd like for Benny and I to go there on a road trip, it's very pretty. You'll have to let us know all about what there is
to do and see there."

Ant Ellie said...

I tried to find highway 88 but could not find it....I am waiting for your next blog to find out where it is.....curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back to life. Be safe.
ant ellie

Ant Ellie said...

What beautiful pictures! Super neat place. didn't you write one time about the name "queen Willamena" state park? Seems like it was an unusual story. Anyway, enjoy yourselves and be extra safe....

I love you both lots and lots.
ant ellie

Robert Jordan said...

"They have a good breakfast at the lodge..."

Richard Lawry said...

I am glad that you are enjoying my beautiful little corner of the world.

An Arkies Musings

Lulu Mae said...

we actually were at Mena Ark in 99 just in my Ford thunderbird an we didnt
go up any mts.."

Margie Champlin said...

I Hope you had better weather then we had around the Pikes Peak region today.....
The high Sat was 80 degrees (record high) than last night the wind gusted 80 mph+ & it snowed at the top of Pikes Peak!
Spring time in Colorado ......
Hugs,
Margie

Leo said...

"We love to visit that area, especially when the leaves turn in the fall."

Glenda Anderson said...

"I camped at Queen Wilhelmins State Park, AR, a long time ago! So glad to see
they have kept the beauty!"

Bonnie and Dick said...

I guessed the Smokey Mountains, but never did send the guess to you. Now, I have traveled this beautiful windy road before. We once had a family Christmas at the Wilhelmina Lodge with the entire family. That road is so windy, windy and sometimes foggy, foggy!!!! Thank Goodness for Jake brakes. You are such a brave soul, Liz.
Bonnie

Sharon & Bob said...

You and Chuck better hurry home for Blue Zone tonight at 6 pm!!!!
Love ya,
ss

Robert Jordan said...

Liz,once I headed up there when a Northern blew in. I got up there in the early morning during a cold fog then realized that wasn;t water condensation on the
trees, it was ice!!! Fast retreat down!"