Sunday, December 22, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "I Fear It"




Have you ever gone through a Christmas alone?  I mean….REALLY alone?  Like "No-Family-No-Friends-No-Anyone" to share this time of year with?  

I-FEAR-IT   

I fear that one day, it will be ME that has no one to purchase Christmas gifts for…..ME that has no where to go on Christmas Day……ME that has no family to visit or call.  

A few years ago, it suddenly dawned on me one day that I'm the youngest in my family…..I'm 13 years younger than my husband…..I have no children….and I'm going to be that lady in the nursing home sitting at the front door begging people to talk to her about her colonoscopy cause she is all alone.  I cried for 3 days.  And on the fourth day, I purchased a Long-Term Care Insurance Policy.  I could barely breathe from the reality of it all.

Sometimes reality really BITES, you know???

But guess what……it's not all about ME or YOU.  I've learned since that pity-party-Liz-day many years ago that you will never be alone if you simply become the friend you wish others to be towards you.  There are so many lonely people out there; especially this time of year.  Look around….they're sitting next to you in church…..they're passing you in the grocery store…..they are your neighbor.  The key is to put your "its-not-all-about-me-and-my-family-&-friends" glasses on and see….truly SEE…and become a part of their life.  If you can do that, you will never be alone.  You will never want for more friends and you will have more friends than your heart will hold.  But you have to LOOK.  Discouraged people generally don't carry a sign saying "I'm bummed".  

So, this Christmas, whether you are sporting those stylish new eyes in search of discouraged souls or you ARE the discouraged soul, I encourage you to find each other.  Invite someone who is alone to come over for Christmas dinner and join your family for the day or if you are alone and disheartened, I urge you to call a Stephen Minister here at the church.  Either way; the Spirit of Christmas will light up your life in ways you never expected!


"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."



Philippians 2:4

No comments: