Thursday, January 21, 2010

There's One Less Tree In Rockport Since We Arrived.....




Thursday, January 21, 2010 - Rockport, TX


What a drop dead gorgeous day it was out there today, huh?!  We are in Rockport and the weather is a sweet 75 degrees, cool breeze, little fluffy white clouds and one less tree in Rockport.  Well, it wasn't the "whole" tree.......just the top 1/4 of the tree......here's what happened....



We arrived in Rockport this evening; unhooked the car........only after stepping smack dab into a mud puddle....then drove the RV on around to our reserved spot.  I had my two men, who will remain nameless but their names start with "C" and "N" (let's just call them Laurel and Hardy, ok?),  helping me back the motorhome into the nice, shaded concrete slabbed spot.  I was going between checking the right side mirror  to the left side mirror to the rearview camera, back to the side mirrors.....well, you get the point....Laurel was at the rear of the RV on my right and had the 2-way radio.....I could see his lips moving in the side mirror but couldn't hear him talking.......Hardy was at the rear of the RV on my left giving hand signals........As Hardy gave me the hand signal showing one (1) more foot....he suddenly gave the "STOP" hand signal at which time I abruptly stopped.....but felt a "thump" and I could tell my back wheels had backed off the concrete slab.....no problem, I thought....I'll just go forward and get back on the slab........nope.....not happening.....  That's when I first heard about the tree.  Seems that there was this tree on Laurel's side of the motorhome (the one who's lips were moving but no sound was being heard) that Hardy couldn't see..........and then we had a tree attached to the motorhome.  UGH!  So, now the RV neighbors start showing up...........We get a couple ladders out, a saw and up I go to saw off the tree that is now part of our roof.

All in all, it could have been worse.  No one was hurt in this process; the RV will survive with a couple new character scratches (a way to remember where we've been!); and truth be told, I am probably to blame for the tree meeting the RV...... I should have walked the spot first to check for obstacles like that.   I learned to do that when I hit a low hanging branch a year ago and ripped the slide awning......when will I learn??!!!

Aside from that, it was a really good day.  We found this super duper major cool antique store this morning; the car didn't disconnect from the motorhome while we were driving; we made it under that "low clearance" bridge and we have a nice RV parking spot that used to be shaded!  Doesn't get much better than that!!

G'night!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is the time of year for pruning and that tree needed pruning....
you should send the park a bill for trimming services.
ant ellie

Anonymous said...

liz... u r amazin! i'm havin so much fun readin your notes/thoughts! what talent!!!! thank u- we'll have 2 get 2gether soon? mayb may? really-thanks 4 yur fun adventures...i'm living vicariously through u guys! i'll get u bak-promise. v ... my mom owns a RV place in zapata. tx! it's really awesume. same fams...-well, it feels like fam now... 7-8 yrs!!!! we even have a pet-cementary- u know! i will show u soon. Stinson's RV-park n storage. we even have sun- (should b sab) service w a brunch! k- talk soon. have fun- espc 4 me-v!!!! Vanessa