Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Decorating 101: "KITCHEN"

Tuesday, March 9, 2010


For some reason, I find it very important to have a nice functional kitchen.  Now, for those of you who know me best, please pick yourself up off the floor and stop the hysterical laughing......right now!   Cooking just isn't one of my "blessings"......I'd rather go to the dentist than have to prepare a meal.....it just doesn't come natural or make sense to me......I'm best known for my killer (not literally) grilled cheese sandwiches and my baking abilities.  The only reason I even like to "bake" is so I can leave a large LARGE amount of batter in the bowl and eat it while the rest of the batter is baking........BUT, it is critical to have a nice functional kitchen.....in case you have company who knows how to cook or something!!

Anyway, thought I'd take you on a tour of our Kitchen today.  Some of the changes we've made to the kitchen include changing out the countertops and painting.

I've added the "Liz-touch" by painting a favorite phrase of mine on the wall....











We took a door off one cabinet and Chuck made some dowls so we could place the plates in it.....

We then took out the solid piece from the center of several doors and replaced it with glass.....Easy, inexpensive touch that I have been so pleased with......






Found this neat little "church" mirror at Kirklands in the scratch and Dent section and it fit perfectly behind the cooktop against a plain tiled wall....














Took a plain frame, again from Kirklands Scratch and Dent section ($15), added a piece of wood that I painted with chalkboard paint and hung in the Butlers Pantry.....












And how cool is this....again in the Butlers Pantry...we needed a place to put Kitty Kruger's Poop Box, so we "hid" it in a pretty cabinet; and so long as Kruger doesn't gain too much weight, she fits between the slats and no one knows its there!
And here's the Butlers Pantry......






And folks, that's the Kitchen.....Can't say I know how to cook in it, but I sure like to decorate it!

10 comments:

Lynette said...

Wow! Are you sure this is your kitchen? It looks like a magazine photo to me… Nice!!

Lynette

Bonnie said...

Liz---love your kitchen, but I can’t see me cleaning the window behind the cook top----I’m a messy cook I guess----spattering is my middle name when preparing a meal. The wonderful clock faces----I love!!! Where did you find those, Woman? Also, I don’t know about Kirkland’s. Where and how do I get there? Love the countertop---granite? You really don’t have to cook you know ‘cause you have different and wonderful talents!

Love, Bonnie

Liz said...

Now talk about a kitchen!! That is it!! Love it! Got to get to bed. Heading for Nashville in the morning! Love ya', the other Liz

Kathy said...

"beautiful!"

Kathy

Isla said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Your great descriptions and photos make me feel like I am right there with you!!!

You have a fabulous talent for taking an ordinary room and making it so special!!!

Hope we somehow get to see you all some day - Are you ever in Dallas any more? We are planning our usual trip to Winnsboro in October (and usually Henry is still scrambling around when we are supposed to be leaving because getting everything ready always takes much longer than he thought it would). As soon as I know when we'll be heading that way I will message you.

Love, Isla

Tom said...

I liked the one about the "still small voice" a lot better.

If only we would all listen more.

Tom

Regina said...

Hi Lizzie-girl,

Of course I don't mind you telling Chuck that funny story - not too funny at the time but downright hilarious now! Your kitchen is VERY pretty. Do you take the church mirror thing off before using the cooktop? I like the cake stand/candy bowl combo. Very pretty and different and functional. I like the open cabinets for plates but have always wondered how clean they'd stay - the more you cook, the worse it the greasy, grimy dust clings to all surfaces in a kitchen, which is why I have having stuff on top of my cabinets - they get just plain nasty. How nice to hear from you!

Lots of love,

Regina

Ant Ellie said...

I love your kitchen....are the green apples real?
The view of the lake through the breakfast area is something else.....and you are right, "there is
no place like home"........and you have made a
wonderful home...even super.
ant ellie

Nancy said...

Hi Liz!
The pictures are beautiful! ;-)
I love reading your blogs. (The picture of Becky pole dancing is a riot!)
Thanks for adding me to your mailing list...Keep them coming. And tell Chuck I said "hello", please.
See ya'll soon,
Nancy Porter (Lisa's friend from Garland)

Debra said...

'Twas gorgeous! At least you can find your stove.
Debra Blackwell