Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Charlie Is A Homebuilder.........AND it's His Birthday!

Sunday, March 21, 2010



Today is my Charlie's Birthday.......and on that note, it occurred to me the other day while looking through some old pictures, that you guys really don't know just how talented my Charlie is; he can do literally anything.  SO........since he's kinda modest and easy going and won't tell you himself, I will.

This is also a good time to remind most of you that my Charlie struggles daily with Multiple Sclerosis. This disease is a terrible, no good, very bad disease that affects many aspects of his life, yet he refuses to sit down and stop living.  He just keeps that very warped sense of humor of his and looks at each day as a new start.

Ever since Charlie and I have been grandparents, we have enjoyed "making" our granddaughters' stuff for Christmas.   Our granddaughters are very very blessed to have three sets of grandparents who love making sure they "want" for nothing....... which sometimes makes it difficult when it comes to gift buying.  So Charlie and I decided pretty early on to limit the gifts to 3 each at Christmas; afterall, if its good enough for Baby Jesus, its good enough for our granddaughters (thanks to my good friend, Suzanne, for sharing this family tradition of hers!  I love it!).  And one of these three gifts would be something we made ourselves.

So, several years ago, we decided to make them a "playhouse within the house".  Our son and his family had just moved into a new home in Allen and had a large playroom upstairs that would be perfect for this "playhouse within the house".  After getting the dimensions of the room from our son, Charlie and I sat down at our kitchen table and designed out every little girl's dream playhouse....actually, 1/2 of a playhouse.  We took the designed playhouse and literally cut it in half on paper.  Chuck used piano hinges so it could be transported easily (well.....not exactly "easily" but successfully!) from our garage to their house in Allen 100 miles away.  He designed and cut each piece of wood, each shutter, each window.....he was amazing!  And the playhouse was fabulous!  We decorated the interior with wallpaper, fabric and a tiny chandelier, along with a couple MDF chalkboard silhouettes of the youngest granddaughter and their dog Laguna.

As you can see, it fits the girls perfectly!  They now have a home for their thousands of baby dolls; a kitchen to bake their imaginary cakes in; a place to hide during "Hide and Seek"; and a place they can call their own.

Grandpa and Lele (that's us!!)  just hope they enjoy playing in it as much as we did making it.














This is from Charlie's oldest granddaughter, Bella, who is 7 years old who came to visit her grandpa this weekend and wish him a very very 
Happy Birthday













This is from Charlie's youngest granddaughter, Brie, who is 5 years old who also wishes Grandpa Charlie a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz,

Love the playhouse! Awesome design! Grandparents are priceless!

~Marlene

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! What a beautiful "little" home!! Charlie, you are amazing!! And, Liz, since I am sure that decorator in you completed it, you are, too!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHUCK!!!

Glenda

Jeanette said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE !!!!!

Jeanette

Ken & Cynthia said...

KEN AND CYNTHIA WISH YOU A WONDERFUL SNOWY BIRTHDAY TODAY..
WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT WOULD SNOW ON YOUR BIRTHDAY..
WE WISH YOU MANY,MANY MORE..
LOVE, KEN AND CYNTHIA

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU !
HAPPY BIRHTDAY TO YOU !
HAPPY BIRHTDAY DEAR CHUCK
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU..
AND MANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!

Barry said...

Tell. Mr C HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Barry

Debi said...

My goodness, you two are sooooo talented! Happy Birthday Charlie!

xoxo Debi

Carla said...

Please tell Chuck Happy Birthday for me. I hope he has a wonderful day. I would really like to see him....and you of course....just haven't seen Chuck in forever!!!

Carla

Ellen said...

Please tell mr. Etheridge to havea very Happy Birthday today. Did you guys get snow? It's beautiful and it's still coming down.

See you Sat.

xxooxxEllen

Chuck said...

Chuck,

Today’s your birthday! Have a wonderful day and I hope that it is full of joy and surprises – besides snow!! Best to you and Liz.

Chuck

David said...

"Very Happy Birthday to Bur.....just a little older than me, but still younger than dirt. Have a great day from all of us here at Sherwood Ranch."

David

DAvid said...

Happy Birthday to Bur, don't know which way you get messages the best, but didn't want the day to go by without sending my best wishes.......

David Werst

Judy said...

"Tell Charlie very happy birthday from us. Have a great one!"

Judy Hammack

Jala said...

"Happy Birthday Charlie!!!

Jala

Kathy said...

"Happy Birthday Charlie!!!"

Kathy

Bonnie said...

I wish I was a little girl again and you and Chuck could be my grandma and grandpa for a little while!!!! I had good grandparents, but I never had a playhouse. I did have a tree house us kids built ourselves----it was a real beaut. He he The playhouse is just wonderful and darling.
Love, Bonnie

Betty said...

"Happy Birthday Chuck!"

Betty Williams

Sally and Larry said...

"Happy Birthday Charlie..from Larry and Sallie"

Sally and Larry

Ant Ellie said...

Those girls will have some wonderful memories
to look back on when they are grown....how sweet. Happy Birthday Chuck!
Love, ant ellie

Lisa said...

Liz, I wish you had told me it was Chuck’s B-Day. Tell him I said Happy Belated B-day!!!!


Lisa

Betty & Ernie said...

Liz: Please convey our best wishes for a very Happy Birthday, a day late. I remember seeing that playhouse in the construction stages. And I thought to myself, what lucky little girls to have Grandpa Charlie and you in their lives. So give him a Hug from us. Keep on keeping on Charlie, its better to wear out than rust out.

Love and God Bless

Betty & Ernie

Judy said...

Hey girlfriend! I have been sharing your blog with Marla lately since she is much like you in the decorating arena. Wanted you to see her comment on this blog entry below.

Let me know what you think!

Judy

Marla said...

that is so precious. Charlie is so talented...makes me sad they don't BOTH take JP+! Maybe they would re-visit the idea?

Marla

Di Ann said...

Wow, that is so cool.

John has a Birthday on the 19th.
=========================
From Di Ann Holley

Mary Lee said...

"Happy Belated Birthday, Chuck. We just got back into town and catching up on
the reading."

Mary Lee