Sunday, November 17, 2013

GROWING SEEDS: "Do You Believe The Scriptures/"


IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE SCRIPTURES,
THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU
 


From the time I was a child, my parents "forced" my brother, sister and I to give 10% of our allowance, as well as Grandma's birthday money, to the church.  I didn't fully understand why, if God created everything, He needed my measly little $1.00 from Grandma's $10.00 gift to ME.  They explained to us that it was His money and He told us, in the Bible, to return 10% back to Him.  Period.  And heaven-forbid I buy candy FIRST before dropping my $1.00 into the offering plate!

As I entered my teen years, I came to resent letting go of my hard earned 10% offering.  I had gas to buy for my Chevy Vega, I had stylish platform shoes to buy and let's not forget it takes money to hang out with the girlfriends.  It got harder and harder for me to drop that money in the offering plate each week and my 10% dropped down to 5% then 3% and eventually 0%.  

Fast forward 100 years to today.  At some point over those years in-between, someone explained to me that everything I have….My house, My Jeep, My food, My electricity, My job….even My husband, two dogs and 1-claw cat, ALL belong to God.  It never belonged to me….it was simply a loan while here on earth to allow me to live comfortably, happily and contently….because He loves me.   Period.  All the "Landlord-of-my-Life", God, ever wanted was a little thanks….a little gratitude….a little Faith from me.  As a simple-minded person, this really hit home with me.

From that point on, I looked at Tithing/Giving with a completely different set of eyes.  I realized God's not being an "indian-giver" by asking for a portion back; quite the contrary.  He wanted to bless me with even MORE….and He wanted me to have faith that He is a Man of His Word.  By not obeying Him and giving back, I was not only depriving myself of a special blessing, but I was also keeping this blessing from others.  Without my CONSISTENT, faithful giving, our beautiful church has no heat in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer; no bulletins for me to write this article on, no Lunches of Love that ministers to our community, no choir, no organist, no pastor….the church disappears.  

Are you squirming a bit?  I sure am.

"Remember this; Whoever sows sparingly will reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will reap generously."
2 Corinthians 9:6

No comments: