Monday, November 18, 2013

I Found A Blessing in Deafness


You know, I have complained for years that of all the things medically wrong with Chuck, the absolute, unequivocal, one-hundred-percent thing that's the hardest for me to live with is his lack of HEARING.  Yes, I can deal with his running down old people and small children, along with taking out every door frame in the house and knocking over the toilet, with his wheelchair……I can deal with him wearing two sets of eyeglasses around his neck…..I can deal with the hole in the top of his head from skin cancer that we could store a wine cork in……but his lack of hearing….DADGUMIT…..it makes me CRAZY.  However, I found a blessing….yes, you heard me….a B-L-E-S-S-I-N-G…..in his hard-of-hearing.

The other day, we were headed the hour long drive to Longview when we got into a little "argument".  Ok, it was a BIG argument and Liz said some "not-so-nice" things to Chuck.   Have you ever had those moments when the words flew out of your mouth before you could stop them and then you find yourself grabbing at them as they continue flying out your mouth?  Oh ya, I know you're relating right now…

After my words flew out and I was immediately feeling the regret of them, I look over at Chuck who has a super mean scowl on his face.  His eyebrows were going in different directions….his eyes were beady and his mouth was pierced into a tiny ball…..I was thinking, "Ohhhh boy….I've done it now."  About the time I opened my mouth to apologize, he yells out, "YOU KNOW I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

What?  You didn't hear me???  Whewwwww………and I whispered these words under my breath (not that I needed to; he couldn't hear me anyway), "Thank You God for Chuck's hard-of-hearing".  He never heard those mean words I had said to him just 60 seconds earlier…..and his scowl was frustration on not being able to hear what, up until this Blog, he had no idea were nasty words.

So, I think it warrants repeating…..THANK YOU GOD, FOR CHUCK'S HARD-OF-HEARING (the all caps was in case God didn't hear me)…….LOL!!




20 comments:

Sherrie said...

I love hearing from you. I miss you. You were a bright light in my busy, troublesome world.

Sherrie

Christy said...

Blessings can be found everywhere. Thanks for this.

It was great to see you Saturday.

Jill said...

I love this! Finding the blessing in everything!

Sandee and Larry said...

Liz,

This is priceless! Love you, Sandee

Liz Hurt said...

Oh, how I love you!! That is hilarious!! It was wonderful seeing you at the "Alamo" on Saturday. I think that will be the first and last trip there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Liz

KAthy Rachal said...

But....does he read your blogs? :)

Jan and Joe said...

ha ha ha! I guess there has to be some good to come of near deafness after all!!

Frosty Turner said...

I love it. Hearing is the only thing J has left. Oh well!!!!

Frosty

Pam Keith said...

Love it! So much better than selective hearing (a common male affliction)!

Marlene said...

Good god Liz! I laughed so hard my husband in the next room thinks I've gone
crazy! Thanks for the belly laugh!
p.s. I can't wait till my husband is HOH!

Jeanne said...

Cute story! I can relate in the reverse. I can’t hear either, and Pat has to put up with it!!!! Keep smiling and making blessings out of hardships!



Jeanne

Jack Wallace said...

Lol!!!!

Kitty said...

Oh, Liz, I LOVE this! I LOVE this! (Just in case you didn't hear me!)
Can't we all relate to the "words spilling out of our mouths thing!" and I hate to admit it, but Lanny and I hardly ever communicate a message to each other once these days --- "What'd you say?" LOL!
Oh, and I especially appreciate knowing how to spell DADGUMIT! My favorite "curse" word that I've tried to repent of unsuccessfully for years! Honey, you're the best!
Kitty

Wayne Manor said...

Liz,

Glad to hear you two are doing well!!! Tell Chuck hello for me.

You are a great story teller. Don't stop. I look forward to hearing your next one!!!

Wayne

Denise said...

Yes I am relating right now !!! Sometimes I wish Benny was hard of hearing, I haven't gotten so lucky with him not hearing what I've slipped and said ! Love the way you see a blessing in every little thing in life. You are a blessing !"

Betty said...

Liz: How I can relate to those words about hearing. Ernie had hearing aids(over time 3 sets) but did't like to wear them. and he did not always hear what I said to him. It wasn't always nice either. But oh how I wish I had him back here with me now. Cherish his deafness and every other little quirk he has . He is here with you and thats all that really matters. If you have to let off steam sometime, rest assured he can't hear you. Take care and God Bless

Betty

Pat Pond said...

Sometimes we get lucky when we lose our temper; I'm glad that you did and that you wrote about it in such an entertaining way!"

Kristen said...

Love it. All things can be blessings in different forms! Hope u are well!

LeeBird said...

Love it! And whoever got their panties in a bunch about it can just kiss my grits. I read somewhere that Ruth Bell Graham said the key to a successful marriage is the union of two good forgivers. I'd like to add that it helps a lot to be two big belly laughers who can laugh at the good, the bad, and the messy things along the way. Love you so, so much friend!

Chuck Stein said...

Of course, we all knew where the story was heading but it was very fun to read anyway! Had to chuckle…….

All the best to you both for a blessed Thanksgiving!

Thanks,


Chuck