Monday, October 31, 2011

Thank You God For East Texas.......

October 30, 2011


WHAT I LOVE ABOUT EAST TEXAS....

You know, when we first bought our lake house 10 years ago, I just loved it.......We still had our Dallas house and I always had the guarantee at the end of the weekend that we'd head on back to town on Sunday evening, which meant I had grocery stores on every corner, a gas station right up the road and I didn't have to shop at Wal-Mart....EVER.

I'll never forget the day Chuck came home from work and said we were moving to the lake full time......AND it was all happening the next day!  I'll never forget the panic I felt in the deepest, darkest pits of my stomach; the dread of "what am I going to do living in the country 24/7" and "but where will I get my hair colored".........I was anything but happy.

After a year of waking up each morning asking myself the question "What am I going to do today??" and a lot of tears; A LOT OF TEARS......I finally did what my Dad and Mary Engelbreit (a great artist and illustrator) always said......"I bloomed where I had been planted."  I got involved with everything local.  I started volunteering at Meals on Wheels.....I started learning how to play golf.....I tried to like Wal-Mart....and the tears became fewer and I found when I did head back to the big city to visit family, I couldn't wait to get back to the safety of good ol' East Texas........Those Dallas drivers had become "idiots" after I left!

This time of year in the piney woods of East Texas is one of my favorite times of year.  There is always a Fall Festival....an Autumn Trails Festival....the Annual Tomato Festival; Scare-on-the-Square Festival, along with the Scarecrow Festival.  You have the Butterfly Festival and the Yamboree Tator Trot; the Peanut Butter Festival and lets not forget the Eat-A-Bug-Family Arts Day.......well....you get the point.  Everyone has a smile on their face; no one is in a hurry.....and everyone despises Obama, with the exception of the old man at the tire store.

I love living in East Texas.

I have also learned that sometimes we are "planted" someplace for a reason.  By connecting the dots of our past, we can see clearly "why" we were planted where we were......

For me, it couldn't be any clearier.......

11 comments:

Lynn Jordan said...

I LOVE your blog...even when they are about the ....shhh the animals. I too have to be careful that Festus doesn't hear me call him an "animal" of all things, after all he is the baby and the boss!

Liz Hurt said...

THAT makes my day!!!!!! The last picture says it ALL!!! Your email makes me want to dance and laugh at the same time! How I love you! (understatement) Have a wonderful day, my dear friend. TOL

Jackie and Joe said...

Liz,
Your Blog was refreshing, so encouraging, filled with "smiles" humor, and wisdom....what a great blessing to enjoy on this beautiful morning....happy day.....blessings....j

Dan Bush said...

A butterfly festival??? Where and when is that?

Dan

Israel said...

I am happy for you Liz, you are used to the country life by now, we have something in common, I moved from Los Angeles, CA 8 1/2 yrs ago and I am happy here. The things I used to do there were different than at the Springs, for instance going to the local airport and rent a plane and fly somewhere for lunch and of course motorcycling, had lots of friends I don't see anymore, however life is grand here in the Springs and I wouldn't change it......It's good. You will show me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; At your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Ps. 16:11

Israel

Sallie said...

I love your blog too and I really loved this one!!

Kathyhy said...

I couldn't have said it more beautifully!! BUT I do want to know more about the 'Eat-a-Bug' thing! K

Lulu said...

Love it I loved living in country in Mo. 8 miles from town where only place to go was walmart// i loved setting on patio an watching soybeans grow an seeing birds. an peaceful quiet times truly where God dwells.. smelling FRESH AIr... got so use to quiet way of life no traffic jams an it took me full yr coming back to Dallas area to get use to traffic again// BUT now i am verrry happy in my new home where we have lots shopping near by an lots of folks to enjoy life with an lots activities going on for seniors.

Judy Kirby said...

Thank you Liz!!! You put it so beautifully. I Love East Texas too! The people, our church, our community, the slow pace and the beauty!!1 Thank you for this!

Donnita said...

this is beautiful.

Sandee & Larry said...

Liz, This is beautiful, as are you. Your journey here has been a blessing for all of us. Love, Sandee