Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 4 - My Eyes Are Glued Shut & What's That Rash On My Face??




Thursday, June 4 – Loveland, CO

6:00 am - AGAIN!

Why do I insist on getting up at, what my friend Jen calls, the butt-crack of dawn each morning??  Errrrr....


Well, we couldn't wait to get on the motorcycle this morning and get scooting down the road to Estes Park and then through the Rocky Mountain National Park!  We had it all mapped out....250 miles from start to finish....great motorcycle winding roads; through mountains, forests, plains, snow, wind and whatever came along.  And sure enough, that's what we got.  I also got eyes with so much gunk in them from the wind they can barely open and a strange rash on the left side of my face.  Yep, I have a slight resemblance to an elderly oriental lady and a 16 year old going through puberty.  Other than that, GREAT day!  Chuck only fell asleep on the back of the motorcycle once that I know of and I know this only because his helmet kept hitting the back of my helmet and pushing me forward. And then he snored.  


We rode the bike through the Great Divide (check out the YouTube video Chuck shot from the back of the bike...www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwP8WOa2Ac ) and it was absolutely spectacular!  Words or video cannot do it justice.  People were giving us a "Thumbs Up" and taking pictures of us as we rode through massive winds at the 12,000' summit and, although I couldn't hear them, I could pretty much guess what they were saying to each other.  "Hey, check out the chinese chick and the tall dude on the motorcycle hanging on for dear life"....."What were they thinking???"....."Look at those crazy kids!"...yep, I bet that's what they were saying!


Anyway, we saw a herd of elk, a coyote and a bull elk and his partner in the middle of the road.  Too cool!  Check out the pic's at my website, www.LizEtheridge.com.  It'll probaby bore you to death, but its there if you're already bored. 


What will tomorrow bring........????

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Every day, every road a new adventure--- A Great Life. I'm crying aligator tears, partly because I'm SOOOO jealous, and partly because I'm laughing so hard. I love you guys, be safe -- call. Debbie

Anonymous said...

Really cool!

Ellen

NORMAN H said...

HEY,
SOUNDS LIKE THE 250 WAS A GREAT RIDE AND MOST EXCITING WITH THE ANIMALS ETC. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO MAKE THE TRIP? KEEP THE DATA COMING WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE UPDATES.

LOVE
SUE AND NORM

Murphy's Mom Blog said...

It took us about.......ALL DAY....to make the trip up the 12,000' mountain and then back down. It was awesome. Snow everywhere.....We almost took Murphy cause we knew he'd want to see this too, but changed our minds at the last minute and boy, are we ever glad we did. Did you check out the YouTube video? Most of it was taken with my digital camera which isn't the best quality, but I thought it got the point across.