Monday, July 25, 2011

DAY 22: Our Roller Coaster Ride to Heaven......

DAY 22:  Ouray, Colorado (I told you wrong the other day; actual pronounciation is "YOU-RAY"...as in "How YOU doin', RAY??")
Temp:  72 Degrees (Sunny with slow showers this afternoon)


WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! 
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! 

I know I'm using "Heaven" a lot to describe stuff I've seen since we left on July 4 (well, except pictures from Amarillo, of course...), but here in Colorado, it's the best and only word that describes what I've seen.......
It just so happens the name of our tour today was called "Road to Heaven"......and boy-howdy, they weren't lying!!

We took a Jeep tour today, except it wasn't a Jeep; it was a modified Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup with open air seats for 12 in the back.  I immediately had my eye on the exact seat I wanted; the very very back on the end.  With camera in hand; extra battery in my pocket......this was going to be a phenomenal picture-taking day!!!  And 365 pictures later, I'm having a hard time picking and choosing the pictures to share with you that won't put you to sleep.....
We took roads in that Chevy PU that were barely roads.....just dirt paths up 13,000+ to the very top of Red Mountain #3.  This is a private mountain and only one tour group in town is allowed up to the peak of this mountain which makes it even neater.  At times, we were hanging on the edge of the mountain; other times, we were avoiding bolders covering the road....

As we climbed higher and higher; making hairpin curves that required us to back-up on several occasions in order to make the curve, which allowed MY seat to be hanging over the edge of Red Mountain.......I couldn't stop giggling.......It was like a 1/2 day non-stop ride on a roller coaster at Six Flags.......SOOOOO COOOL!!!  I kept saying to Chuck, "WAKE UP.....we're backing up again.....!!!"  How he could nap at a time like this is a mystery to me.......

It was SOOOO cool, I'm taking another tour tomorrow.........and then again on Wednesday......and maybe Thursday too!!!

BUCKET LIST:

46) Take a Chevy PU up a non-existing road to the peak of Red Mountain #3.  DONE!





16 comments:

Robert Jordan said...

Told you that you would be reward with something special soon for your heroic act the other day... see told ya so...."

Robert Jordan said...

I just wished I was there in the truck with you... that would have been something I would have absolutely loved.. especially with someone else driving.."

Lulu Mae said...

You were giggling? I would have been passed out or having heart attack.... glad u can enjoy .. pics are awesome..

Denise Kohler said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS !!
D

Ann Holland said...

OK … judging from the beautiful and hair raising pictures, I'm sure Chuck wasn't asleep, but scared shitless and silently praying!!!

Israel said...

Awesome pictures Liz, thanks

Israel

Cynthia said...

Well you are still living on the EDGE... what can I say but BE CAREFUL ... O.K.
:) and keep having fun out there.. how is sweet Mollie...
I hope she and Murphy are still loving each other... :)

Jackie said...

Hey Liz....oh how I love to read your Blogs. I look forward to seeing your adventures, reading your wise words, and hilarious descriptions and seeing pictures that really make my mind soar, then view pictures that make me laugh-out-loud.....what a gift.

What a ride....what views...your description of the trip in the 1/2 ton Chevy truck converted into a "tour jeep" was priceless....I know the trip was beautiful beyond words and so glad you shared some of the pictures.

Blessings, j

Judy Boyles said...

That is sooooo awesome! J

Thanks,

Judy Boyles

Wayne said...

Liz, we were in Silverton the last 10 days! Riding the San Juan mountain range."

Liz Etheridge-Sekerke said...

Back in HOT Dallas. If we had the computer hook up we would have known you were in OURAY. We spent an afternoon there last Thursday!"

Wayne said...

Its been too long Liz. Look us up when you get back. If you get to Silverton, try the blueberry Cheese Cake at the Teller House and stop in at the Wyman Hotel and say hi to Lena the owner.

Liz Hurt said...

Liz, you bring back wonderful memories. The summer after Charlie died, the twins and I made a trip to Ouray and rented a jeep! UNBELIEVABLE! I took the most insurance we could and made arrangements for all 3 of us to drive. Matt started out. We quickly saw that we needed a very aggressive driver to survive. That left Eric and me out! If you meet somebody on those "roads" one would have to back up! Unequaled beauty; unequaled terror. We picnicked at the summit - all wearing shorts in the snow! Fabulous! Thank you for precious memories! LOVE, TOL

The Casey's said...

Liz and Chuck,

How awesome! When I was a child in Colorado, my sister and I with seven girl cousins would ride in ‘PaPa’s” (grandfather) pickup. We had a 2X4 bench across the back and the rest of us just sat in the flat bed. I got thrown out once (I was the youngest) but they just stopped and I climbed back on board. I still don’t like seat belts.

The pictures on your blog show the magnificent power of our higher selves. Keep sending the info and pics...you are such an inspiration!

Love the Casey’s

Stu said...

So tempting to cancel everything and load up the truckster and drive to Heaven.
Continue to have a great time.
Stu

Melanie Wills said...

There are few places on earth more beautiful than Colorado. Glad you are having such a great time.