Monday, July 19, 2010

DAY 19: Just Another Day.........


DAY 19:  Manitou Springs, CO - July 19, 2010


Well folks, didn't do anything exciting today.....sorry.  This was a WORK day.....I did quarterly payroll reports, paid vendors and determined we have too many bills.  So, I thought I'd use this useless day to catch you up on other news.  Ready?  Here we go......

First, I've been wanting to tell you about this for a week now, but just haven't had an opportunity; what with Murphy getting an Australian Haircut and all.  My girlfriend, Sherrie, in Dallas had the most interesting, funny, tragic thing happen to her early last week.  Now, before I tell you what happened to her, I need to tell you "about" her.......Sherrie is the first woman firefighter ever in Dallas.  Now, that's HUGE.  Think about that for a minute........THE FIRST WOMAN FIREFIGHTER EVER IN THE ENTIRE CITY OF DALLAS.  Cool, huh??  Sherrie and her husband Sam were our neighbors when we lived in Dallas and she's one of those friends you know you will have the rest of your life.  I adore her.  Now, on to what happened to her.  Her house, unfortunately, was broken into last week.  Thats the "tragic" portion of the story.  They stole a laptop and other electronics from her house.  But this wasn't just any ordinary crook....oh no.......this was a "crazy" crook who probably has been kicked out of his gang by now.  Why you ask??  Because he left his cell phone on her bed.  Oh ya, you heard me; this crazy, no-gang-anymore crook "left his cell phone on her bed".  Obviously, that's the "interesting" and "funny" portion of the story.  Because the idiot left his cell phone, with all his gang friends' names and numbers for the police, he has been apprehended and her stuff is being returned to her as I type.  If my fingers could laugh, they would be howling right now......

Now, on to where we are right now.  As you all know, we are in Manitou Springs, Colorado.....but do you know where Manitou Springs, Colorado actually is??  Didn't think so........we are just west of Colorado Springs which is an hour south of Denver and we are in Paradise.  This place is magical to me; not really sure why exactly....but it always has been.  Part of the reason we really like being here is that there are such nice people all around us.

Take Margie and Chris.......they run the park that we are staying in here and there aren't two nicer people.  Now, for you non-RV-camper-types, usually when you check into an RV park, you see the managers once......maybe twice if you do something wrong.  But not here.......you see Margie and Chris all the time cause they are always helping people.  We actually prefer to position our outside chairs in the late afternoon when new monster RV's and gigantic 5th wheels start arriving so we can watch Chris perform his magic by directing people into their tight RV spots......... These two are........Special.


Chuck and I have decided we are going to pick up pieces of wood from each place we travel this year.......and make these awesome crosses from that wood when we get home.  I love the simplicity and power behind these incredible crosses.......and each will carry the memory of where we've been..........














9 comments:

Marlene said...

Liz, tell your friend she has the Lord's favor! This isn't just not a stupid crook but God's favor! That's one awesome story! Also I would love a cross from Manitou Springs, I was there back in 1989! I hope it hasn't changed much. Anyway, I would love a cross with wood from there. ...just tell me the price. I know it's priceless............ I love your life! This is the life I want for my husband and I in retirement!
Hugs,
M

LeeBird3 said...

Too funny 'bout the cell phone...totally what I would do if I were to go nuts and become a crook!

:)

Have fun in the beauty of CO. Think about me as I start BACK TO WORK tomorrow...(sniff sniff)

Jackie Stuckey said...

Liz,

I love the cross idea! I have a cross wall in my house and I love each and everyone of them. Have a great day

Jackie

Israel said...

Awesome story about Sherrie, I love women doing men jobs. Thanks!! see yah later.

Israel

Sherrie said...

Well....Thanks for picking a decent picture of me. Cute story as always.

Sherrie

Jana said...

HI Liz! I am so glad you are having fun in Manitou! I wish I was there with you! I am not sure I will get to come out this summer after all- I may have to make a quick trip up North and catch you at home instead! I am buying a house and closing in August, so I am really busy. On top of that, Shari's kids are with me right now. Not sure for how long. Things weren't going well so I'm helping out. Its strange having so many kids around again! Kam leaves with his girlfriend Rachel in the morning. We have new photos of them on Lissa's album Summer 2010. I think you can see the photos by going to Lissa from my friend list. I have loved having Kam and Rachel here all summer. Lissa is still here working and will be for a while, yea, and shari's 3 kids, so my little house has been crowded. I'm anxious to get into my new one. Buying a house on my own is a little scary but with interest rates so low I have to try! It has a little pool in the back yard so I can bear the tx heat a little better! Did you get a chance to eat at The Craftwood in on El Paso? Amazing dinners! Love hearing about your trip! Love ya! jana

Jeannette said...

Wow what an interesting story of your friend in Dallas....she was lucky!!

Donnita said...

The crosses are so cool...make me one for my cross wall.

Ant Ellie said...

I love it when I hear stories of crooks that "do themselves in".....I bet he is one popular guy in that group! Probably should move out of state...or
further....to start anew and for his own safety. ha.
Sounds like you all are in paradise....even if you have an occasional work day.....sounds like the rest of it makes up for the work. take care and keep blogging.
ant ellie