Monday, August 8, 2011

DAY 35: Vernal: Home of Dino and the Flintstones......

DAY 35:  Lovely Vernal, Utah
TEMP:  High 83 / Low 55



Ready to learn a bit about Vernal, Utah??  Probably not, but I did promise you fun facts about this sweet little town we have landed in.

Well, first its important to learn how to say "Vernal".  Now, in Texas, we see the word Vernal and we call it "Ver-nawl".  I made the mistake of saying the Texas version of Ver-nawl to a local and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.  Then they promptly corrected me by saying, "You mean Vernal (like Urinal but with a "V")?  They then asked where from Missouri I was from.  Huh???

Once you get the proper pronunciation down, you are well on your way to enjoying all the niceities that Vernal (remember: Urinal with a "V") has to offer.

Now, before we get started, its important that you know about one of Utah's state laws: "A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence."

Kinda makes me wonder why the Morman men "wanted" more than one wife.......

Anyway, Vernal is a remote and isolated city located in Northeast Utah.  It is one of only a few cities in Utah that wasn't founded by the Mormans.  And like I mentioned the other day, Vernal is the only city in the US of its size that does not have a railway, which...I've got to tell ya, I am THRILLED about...cause most campgrounds RVers stay at are located right smack next to a RR that has a 4:30 am train going through for some reason.  So, kudos to Vernal on that one!!!

Of the 9,000 people living here in Vernal, approximately 8,578 are landscapers.  Yes, thats right....Landscapers.  The first thing we noticed when plowing through downtown in the RV was all the flowers everywhere.  I mean EVERYWHERE.  Check it out.....Chuck and I thought maybe we just arrived at Flower Festival or possibly one of the landscapers died....but nope; this is how the whole town is.

And they LOVE their dinosaurs here.  Everything has the name "Dino" in it, such as "Dino Sandblasting",  "Dinosaur Gift Shop", "Dinosaur Hair and Nails", "Dino Burger", "Mr. Dino-Rooter Plumbing".....well, you get the idea.

Anyway, great little town where the temperature is not 114 degrees and a cool breeze is always blowing and a train whistle isn't.  After our last campground, this is like camping in Heaven.  Except in Heaven, I seriously doubt that the neighbor forgets to put the sewer HOSE in the sewer HOLE before pulling the black (poop) handle.......unlike our neighbor today who did just that.  It was not pretty, folks.........We could practically tell ya what they had for breakfast this morning.

Anyway, that concludes your tour of Vernal (like Urinal but with a "V") Utah.  BTW, thanks Bob and Sharon and ALL of our Blue Zone buddies back home for including us electronically at Blue Zone tonight.  We had a BLAST at Blue Zone in Vernal, Utah!!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

You are the next Irma Bombeck…..I just woke up to go to the potty (aka urinal) and checked my email. It’s a good thing I went tinkle beforehand, because I was laughing so hard!! Are you the Flintstones, by the way? J Lovely sunrise….or sunset. You truly must write a book!
Nite!
K

Ant Ellie said...

Flowers are so pretty.....sort of offsets the dinos! An almost 30 degree variation in temp? wow. Are you sure you weren't secretly hired by the Chamber of Commerce? The mayor ought to take you two for lunch! Stay safe and have fun. I love you lots and lots.
ant ellie

Jackie and Joe said...

Hey Liz,
I look forward to your Blog every day....it is a treat and blessing. I know you all are enjoying your days and it is a blessing to hear the gratitude in your writings. I believe "thankfulness" is just something innate in you.