Thursday, August 12, 2010

DAY 43: My Life As An RV Driver....

DAY 43: Custer, South Dakota - August 12, 2010


We made it to beautiful South Dakota!!  Us and 2 million Harley riders who I would bet, 90% are over the age of 50.....heck, probably over the age of 70!

I've had a lot of you ask me what it's like driving this big honker of a Motorhome.  I thought since today was pretty much a travel day, I would give you a chance to be in the Drivers Seat......so Buckel Up.....its going to be a bumpy ride......

First, you need a few facts..........

Length of Motorhome:  38' (but feels like 60')
Length of Trailer: 12' (but feels like 30')
Width of Motorhome:  Not Sure (but we really should know this....somewhere around 104" I think....but feels like 432')
Height of Motorhome:  13'2" (but feels like 20'.....especially while going in tunnels and under power lines.)
Engine Size:  Cummins Diesel 350 hp (zooooomm zooooomm...thats BIG and POWERFUL!)
Slides:  These are the thing-a-majegs that POP out on the sides of the motorhome when you're parked to make it bigger. (And no, you don't drive with these OUT....I've actually had someone ask me that before......)

Okay, now you're ready to drive the "TANK"...... (and no, we don't drive with the 4 slides in the OUT position.....I actually had someone ask me this once.)

First, there are things you need to consider while driving the "tank":



1)  Always Know Your HEIGHT Restrictions.....
(Have you ever seen overpass bridges where the concrete has been knocked away.....well....SOMEONE wasn't paying attention to their height restrictions.....PAY ATTENTION)





2)  Always Know Your WIDTH Restrictions....
(If it says "No one over 100" wide, that means YOU)





3)  Always Know Your ENGINE and BRAKE Restrictions.....
(I would not recommend trying out your engine OR your brakes on a 23% grade....although we did..)





4)  Always Know WHERE Your Next Door Neighbor Is....
(When your mirror is 3" away from the trucker next doors mirror, you will want to remember this suggestion....)








5)  Always Have A BACK-UP Driver.....
(Murphy is my back-up driver.....he's a quick learner)






6)  Don't Let A Campground Host Put You and Your 38' Motorhome In A 30' Spot....
(This is very very important....)





7)  Watch Out For LOW HANGING Trees......
(Trust me on this one; can you say, Cha Ching.....$$$$$)







8)  Always Take COMPLIMENTS When You Squeeeeeeeeze The Motorhome In A Very, Very Tight Space....
(I love seeing impressed men.....)







9)  Try To Time Your Arrival and Departure Times To Correspond With The Weather......
(Trust me.....you will be glad I suggested this...)





10)  Improvise When Needbe......
(Sometimes you just have to get creative....)





11)  Use Your BACK-UP Camera...
(This is your BEST friend...)






12)  And Most Important; Never, Ever Forget to Enjoy the Scenery.......
(Well, unless you're driving.......)

3 comments:

Bonnie and Dick said...

Liz---we have been gone on vacation for 10 days to Cleveland, OH. This is Dick home town, so we are just now catching up with your NEWS!!!! We enjoy the journey----you are way tooo funny and adventuresome. You are making me feel really OLD, you know. We did take our dog, Sister, with us in the van to Cleveland, staying in pet-friendly hotels and eating all of our lunches at Sonic of Rest Areas, so she could have a break and not be in the HOT van. She was an excellent traveler. Enjoy the rest of your trip, as we will.
Bonnie

Jacquetta said...

I have no doubt that Murphy could fill in for you as he is so smart - after all, sitting in your lap, he is used to all the right moves! Jacquetta

Ellie said...

I feel like I have been driving all day instead of testing! Is that snow on those mountains? Can you see this view from where you are parked? I don't see any trees though...is it sort of desert like? Is this the location of Custer's last stand? I can't wait till you explore the area.....I'm curious as to what it is like...ant ellie
I love you both.